The Shoulder of Mutton – the oldest pub in Fordham dates back to 1380 and was originally built as a private house for a yeoman farmer who owned land in the area and provided work for locals. Years later it became an inn with earliest licencing records dating back to 1769. However, the date may have been shortly after Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries, around 1536, when travellers were forced to find alternative accommodation and the inn as a social amenity was born.
The parlour of the building was at one stage used as a butcher's shop, hence the name - The Shoulder of Mutton.
© Copyright The Shoulder of Mutton 2017. Photography by Best Guest Photography
Website designed and hosted by Accelerate Graphics (UK) Ltd